Before I graduated college and after I had landed my first job in a small Mississippi town, I went apartment hunting with one of my girlfriends. We drove in during the morning hours, saw about 5 different potential places to live — the first of which ended up being my home for a year — and then were to head back to our college town that afternoon.
We got hungry after seeing a few places, and we pulled into a little sandwich shop called The Spicy Pickle. I was skeptical of the place, never having heard of it before, but my friend Krysten insisted we try it.
I ordered a chicken panini called the Yard Bird, and I fell in love with that sandwich at first bite. … During my tenure in town, I spent many lunches at The Spicy Pickle. I never changed my order. And I savored every bite of that sandwich that took me by surprise during my visit.
I moved from my small Mississippi town in late 2010, and I have not been to The Spicy Pickle since.
That doesn’t mean I haven’t craved the Yard Bird Sandwich, though, and recently, I got creative and made my own.
The ingredients are pretty simple, and the key to this sandwich is layering it to where everything melds into place once it is toasted.
Check it out, y’all:
- 4 oz. shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ large apple, chopped
- A square of homemade focaccia (or the bread of your choosing)
- First off, you'll take your bread and slice it in half.
- Next, spread the honey mustard on both sides of the bread evenly.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese on slice of bread.
- On the other slice of bread, spread the fresh spinach out.
- On top of the spinach, layer the apple slices.
- Then, lastly, top the apple with the shredded chicken.
- Cover the sandwich, wrap in foil and toast for 5 to 10 minutes... or until the bread is golden brown and crispy, and the sandwich has heated through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Do you randomly crave foods like this?
What’s your go-to sandwich?