Pumpkin season is in full-swing, and we should celebrate with these decadent Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze. The muffins are fluffy, the streusel is crumbly and the glaze is tart, culminating in a delicious breakfast or brunch confection that everyone is bound to adore.
It finally! feels like autumn! (It might not tomorrow, but we’re livin’ it up while it’s gorgeous here in Texas.)
And it’s the day of the great #virtualpumpkinparty!
Oh, you haven’t heard of the #virtualpumpkinparty?
Let me explain.
Several bloggers and I have come together to all post pumpkin-centric recipes for y’all this morning.
Let me tell you, it’s going to be a delicious day, because we’ve got pumpkin involved in all kinds of recipes. Sweet or savory, we’ve got you covered! And I’ve got a list of all the goodies beneath my recipe, so keep scrolling down to check ’em all out.
My recipe, these Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze, are a new favorite in our household.
However, I burned the browned butter, umm, four times, before I got it right when making these one morning.
Note to self: Multi-tasking in the kitchen can sometimes be dangerous. Pay attention to the butter browning and don’t get sidetracked because nobody likes burned butter.
That said, once the butter is browned and cools just slightly, you’re good to go, and these muffins bake up beautifully! I even made ’em for Lady Baby’s playgroup a few weeks back, and they were well-loved.
The muffins are light and fluffy. The streusel topping is delightfully crumbly and tastes of browned butter, sweetness and oats. And the maple cream cheese glaze just sends these breakfast confections over the edge.
Here’s how I made them:
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
- 1.5 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Set cupcake tins into your cupcake pan, and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Using a fork, mix them together until combined.
- Add the browned butter to the mixture. Stir until the topping appears streusel-like and slightly clumpy. (This is what you want!)
- Set aside until the muffins have been made.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, browned butter and eggs together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding the ingredients together until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or a ¼ cup measuring spoon, dollop the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the muffins.
- Transfer the pan into the preheated oven, baking 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy warm!
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth, then set aside. (Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks, though it shouldn't last that long!)
- When the muffins have cooled slightly and are ready to be eaten, drizzle on top of the muffins.
And now, here are all my fellow bloggers’ recipes!
A Couple Cooks • Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
I Am a Food Blog • Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
Well and Full • Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
Loves Food, Loves to Eat • Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
Girl Versus Dough • Pumpkin Challah
Snixy Kitchen • Black Sesame Pumpkin Mochi Cake
Hungry Girl por Vida • Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt • Pumpkin Spice Latte Truffles
Two Red Bowls • Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
The Frosted Vegan • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps
Warm Vanilla Sugar • Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Ice Cream + Affogato
An Edible Mosaic • Pumpkin Spice Latte Snack Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Kitchen Konfidence • Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
Chocolate + Marrow • Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Butter Swirl
The Pig & Quill • Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes with Pumpkin Spice Caramel + Coconut Cream
Salt & Wind • Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
With Food + Love • Creamy Pumpkin Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Beets
A Cookie Named Desire • Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Ginger Cheesecake
Nommable • Pumpkin Moon Pies
Feed Me Phoebe • Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
The Yellow Table • Coconut-Curry Pumpkin Soup
Ginger & Toasted Sesame • Pumpkin Ricotta Gnudi
The Crepes of Wrath • Pumpkin Pie Cake
The Swirling Spoon • Pumpkin Hand Pies
Erin Made This • Pumpkin Rye Waffles with Coconut Caramel
Beard and Bonnet • Pumpkin Spice Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches
My Name is Yeh • Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
Earthy Feast • Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
Broma Bakery • Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
Floating Kitchen • Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
The Sugar Hit • Pumpkin Everything Bagels
The Bojon Gourmet • Pumpkin Flatbread with Gruyére and Crispy Sage (gluten-free)
Sprinkled with Jules • Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
Feast + West • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
Jojotastic • Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
Fix Feast Flair • Pumpkin Spice Japanese Cheesecake
Appeasing a Food Geek • Pumpkin Ale Cake
Tending the Table • Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
Long Distance Baking • Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream + Pumpkin Pancakes
My Blue & White Kitchen • Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
Fork Vs. Spoon • Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
Alyssa & Carla • Pumpkin Tea Bread (in a Coffee Can!)
Twin Stripe • Pumpkin Spice Toffee
Le Jus d’Orange • Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
The Scratch Artist • Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
Brewing Happiness • Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Blogging Over Thyme • Homemade Candied Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream Drumsticks
Heartbeet Kitchen • Pumpkin Swirled Mashed Potatoes
The Speckled Palate • Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt • Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Style Sweet CA • Chocolate Stout and Pumpkin Checkerboard Cake
Fork to Belly • Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
Tasty Yummies • Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Påte á Chew • Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Holly & Flora • Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Southern Soufflé • Sorghum Pumpkin Soufflés
Okie Dokie Artichokie • Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake, Cheese Tortellini, Sage-Mascarpone Sauce, Toasted Hazelnuts
Kale & Caramel • Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
The Little Epicurean • Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
Vigor and Sage • Maple Pumpkin Harvest Smoothie
Tried and Tasty • Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Sprouted Routes • Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas (gluten free)
The Fauxmartha • Baked Pumpkin Donuts
So… Let’s Hang Out • Grain-Free Apple Crumble Pumpkin Pie
Wit & Vinegar • Pumpkin Flaxseed Dog Treats
Dunk & Crumble • Pumpkin Roundup
Biscuits and Such • Pumpkin Pound Cake
SugarHero! • Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
A Little Saffron • Spiced Pepita Brittle
Farmette • “Tis Different” Pumpkin Pie