Enjoy flavorful Honey Sriracha Chicken Rice Bowls for dinner this week! Place the chicken, onion and red bell pepper in the slow cooker with honey, soy sauce and water. Cook for 4 hours. Steam brown rice and snow peas, then layer the rice, chicken and its sauce and snow peas in a bowl for serving. Slightly sweet with a zing of spice, Honey Sriracha Chicken Rice Bowls make a well-loved, simple and healthy weeknight meal for the whole family.
Sweet (but not too sweet) and spicy is where it’s at for entrees these days. For me, at least.
As a parent whose child has been home for the last three-ish weeks, I don’t have nearly as much time to spend in the kitchen. Active toddlers don’t allow for much kitchen work unless it’s naptime – and let’s be real, during naptime, this mama gets rest, too – so I’ve turned to the slooooooow cooker.
In an attempt to share more slow cooker meals here, I’ve been tinkering with our tried and true favorites.
This is not one of them.
In fact, this random effort from last weekend turned out better than I could have possibly imagined.
This recipe received the approval of my spicy food-loving husband, our adventurous-but-occasionally-weird-about-onions toddler and me, the least adventurous of the bunch.
We’ve talked about this before: the picky food blogger. Yes, I know. My list of no-go foods is long, and neither my husband, nor my toddler are impressed because they’d like to eat all the food.
The chicken hits your tongue with a sweet note, and the heat comes on in the end. But it’s not too much, and the sweet and spice are well balanced. Additionally, the onion and red bell pepper meld into the sauce beautifully, adding to the overall flavor.
And that sauce? Well, I could drink it. I’d venture to say my husband and daughter would do the same if given the chance.
Then, you’ll steam brown rice and snow peas… and voila! You’ve got a tasty one-bowl meal that everyone will love.
Erin’s Recommended Tools/Products for Honey Sriracha Chicken Rice Bowls
Please note that some of the links listed below are affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase through one of them, I will receive a small commission. Thanks for your support of The Speckled Palate!
- Essentials: Slow Cooker.
- Get the look: Yellow and white bowl. (Similar from Dansk.) Threshold Porcelain Rectangular Platter in White. Blue and white plaid napkins (Similar from Etsy.)
Sound like something your fam would enjoy?
Here’s how we made this flavorful, Asian-inspired dish:
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Slow Cooker Chicken
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked according to the product’s instructions
- 1 ½ lbs. snow peas
- On a clean cutting board, trim any fat from the chicken breasts and cut into bite-sized pieces. Transfer to a bowl, toss in the cornstarch, then set aside.
- In the slow cooker, place the chicken, along with the onion, red bell pepper and garlic. Using a spoon, toss until combined.
- Measure the honey, soy sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce, granulated garlic, red pepper flakes and black pepper into the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to high, and cook for FOUR hours. (Alternatively, you can set the slow cooker to low and cook for 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is fork tender and the sauce has come together.)
- When the chicken is done cooking, turn the slow cooker to the WARM setting.
- While the chicken is on warm, cook the brown rice, and steam the snow peas.
- Layer the rice, chicken and snow peas into a bowl with the sweet-spicy sauce. Enjoy warm!
If you want to cook this dish on the LOW setting, this dish will be done in 6-7 hours instead of the 4 listed below. Be on the lookout for the sauce thickening and the chicken being fork-tender.