Winston’s Hummus

by Erin on January 30, 2013

in appetizers

Winston's Hummus // The Speckled Palate

This is another one of those dishes that I never tried because I was, not surprisingly, I was terrified of the name… or the ingredients… or a combination of all of the above.

In fact, I might not have tried this dip until I was, umm, in my mid-20′s.

Clearly, I am a recovering picky eater. I’m working on it, y’all, and I am pleased to say that this is one of my favorite appetizers now, delicious with pita chips or vegetables. In fact, I like to snack on this with carrots during the weekdays if I need a little extra protein. I’ve found it really comes in handy on long run days, and I’ve craving substance and don’t want to fill up on junk.

My husband has adapted this lovely recipe over the years, and I am thrilled to share it with y’all because it is wonderfully garlic-y, nutty and a perfect way to start an evening with friends.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Winston's Hummus

Garlic-y, nutty garbanzo bean dip perfectly paired with pita chips or sliced vegetables
Recipe type: Appetizer
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
  • 3 cloves garlic (about 1½ teaspoons minced)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Open the can of chickpeas, and drain, rinsing thoroughly before proceeding.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in the food processor. (You don't need to de-shell the beans, though if you want to do this, feel free. We've found it adds a lot more work, and we cannot really tell a difference after everything is blended.)
  3. Blend until smooth, or the consistency of your choosing.
  4. Consume immediately with vegetables and pita chips.

Winston's Hummus // The Speckled Palate

What is a dish that you were scared to try, but it turned out to be delicious? … Or are you an adventurous eater and haven’t met a dish you wouldn’t try? (Any advice for this recovering picky eater?)

Lindsey d. January 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

Drain the chickpeas or no?

I’m also a recovering picky eater and I still have a few things that I truly dislike. I find the best approach is simply to keep trying things. I HATE pickles, but have actually found that I like a small taste of sweet pickles… All because I kept trying them.

Erin January 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Lindsey, thanks for asking this question! I just updated the recipe. YES. You will drain the chickpeas. (I find the liquid in most cans absolutely disgusting, so make sure to rinse the beans thoroughly before pureeing them with the other ingredients.)

I’m glad to hear I am not the only recovering picky eater, and I am the same way. I’ve got to continually try things and be brave pertaining to them. And that’s too funny about you and pickles… because the only type of pickle I like is the sweet ones. Go figure. ;)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

Girrrl, you’re hitting my sweet spot with recipes lately! I was just thinking of apps to serve on Superbowl Sunday. I want to make a version of my super easy bean soup (which, when made with less liquid, chills into a great chip dip) and I think this hummus would be an awesome complementary dip, too!

Erin January 30, 2013 at 11:18 am

Ha! I’m glad we’re on this same wavelength because I have been thinking about apps for the Super Bowl, too. I’d love to see your recipe of super easy bean soup that also doubles as a dip. That sounds delightful. And this hummus is certainly a hit. The one downside? It’s garlic-y, so bring breath mints or use less because it can get a little intense. Haha.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks February 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

OMG, why didn’t I read this comment BEFORE I made the hummus? I added FIVE garlic cloves to a double batch and it was crazy garlicky (but, in a good way to those of us who are garlic lovers). I also added roasted red peppers and it was a huge hit; even Gavin loved it (and shared some pretty awesome “puckered” faces as he was eating it). Next time, probably less garlic, but I’ll definitely add the roasted red peppers again. Thank you for helping me realize how easy it is to make hummus – I likely won’t ever again buy it pre-made!!!

Erin February 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Aww, I feel like I kind of dropped the ball because I should have warned in the directions that it’s a bit potent… especially if you aren’t the biggest garlic lover. I’m just glad that your family enjoys garlic AND that you added roasted red peppers to it. That sounds awesome, and I’m definitely going to have to add the peppers to it in the future! Yum!

I’m glad this recipe made you realize how easy it was to make and that you probably won’t go back to premade! I love making this stuff, and when I say it is constantly in our fridge, I mean we probably make it once a week. Haha.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks February 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

Also, the black bean soup is super easy. I follow this Real Simple recipe and strain the broth away if I’m making it for dip (but, it also makes for a really yummy soup, too – just keep the broth for that!).

Erin February 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Oh yum. That looks DELIGHTFUL. Definitely making that soon.

Thanks for sharing, Nilsa!

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen January 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I didn’t try hummus until late college, so don’t feel so bad! This looks incredible girlie! :)

Erin January 31, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ha. I’m glad we were both a little hesitant about the hummus. And I hope you like it now, too!

Jayne January 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’ve never ever tried hummus! I think this might be one of those things that have scared me because I have no idea if I’ll like it. I love roasted chickpeas. I love the braised kind. Common sense says I would like this, right? I’m not sure why I haven’t given it a go. Going grocery shopping tonight. Looks like a can of chickpeas will be finding it’s way into my cart. :-D

Erin January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh my goodness, girl! Please let me know what you think about this dip because if you like all sorts of other chickpeas, I think you’re going to thoroughly enjoy this!

Natalie January 31, 2013 at 8:03 am

Oh you made my favourite dip ever! I love hummus so much and eat it a few times a week with crackers or veggies. I do make my own hummus sometimes but then I get lazy and just buy it from the grocery. Your hummus sure does look scrumptious :)

Erin January 31, 2013 at 10:46 am

This is one of my most favorite dips ever, too! Glad we both love it and make it weekly. It’s fun to make your own hummus… but sometimes, I’m lazy and get it fresh made from the store, too. What all do you put in your hummus recipe? I wonder how similar ours are!

DessertForTwo January 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I’m a hummus addict! I love your recipe :)

Erin January 31, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thank you! And I agree: Hummus is just delightful. It’s one of my favorites.

Julia {The Roasted Root} January 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm

It’s been ages since I have made hummus – thanks for reminding me about the healthy, delicious snack!

Erin February 1, 2013 at 10:09 am

You’re welcome! It’s one of my favorites, and I find that I go in and out with it sometimes… eating a TON one week and then ignoring it for about a month, then the cycle starting over.

Mel February 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hummus makes the world go round. :)

I would like to try okra. I have had it fried, but I want to try it in something where it’s not fried.

Erin February 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm

That it certainly does, Mel. And I’d love for you to try okra, too. It’s delicious, and it is one of my favorite beef stew and gumbo additions. It thickens the broth and adds SUCH a good flavor!

Suzy March 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but can this be made ahead of time and refrigerated? Recipe says “Consume immediately” so I wasn’t sure if it was okay to make now if I’m not serving it until later tonight. :)

Erin March 5, 2013 at 10:00 pm

That’s not a stupid question at all, Suzy! Sorry I didn’t specify better in the recipe.

You can store this in the fridge for up to a week, though if your household is anything like ours, it’ll be gone in a few days!